It’s just not natural to put “ME” first. Can you relate?
What does it look like to put “ME” first at the holidays? Here are 10 things that are happening for me this holiday season:
- Fitness is important, so I show up everyday at the gym or take a walk, or do both.
- The food I choose to eat is healthy…does that mean I deny myself all holiday treats? No, I simply make more healthy choices than unhealthy choices.
- I get the proper rest, so maybe I need not be the last one to leave the holiday party.
- Growing intellectually is key, so I carve out time each morning and night to read something from which I learn.
- Emotional fitness comes from expressing my feelings among friends and those close to me.
- Maintaining bonds with people in my business and personal networks allows me to meet my social needs.
- Tapping into my creativity, like playing Christmas songs on my guitar or piano feeds my spirit.
- Setting aside time for meditation (and prayer) keeps me centered on what’s important each day.
- Using the “slow” times at work allows me to reconnect with colleagues that I haven’t talked with recently.
- Allowing others to do for me…truly allowing myself to receive their gifts of time and service… frees me up so I can be fully present and enjoy the holidays.
Are you putting “ME” first?
Haven’t we all fooled ourselves into believing that we must put others first?
But by putting “ME” first, aren’t we are actually more available to be there for the ones we love?