Over the years, I’ve discovered, that in order to stay in balance, each day, I must fulfill the following needs:
- Physical – am I taking care of my body? Have I worked out, eaten healthy food, gotten adequate rest? In essence, have I listened to what my body is telling me, and responded in a healthy way?
- Mental – have I exercised my mind? What did I do to meet my intellectual needs? Did I read, listen to a book on tape, attend a lecture or research a topic online?
- Spiritual – did I achieve a conscious contact with a power greater than myself? Did I meditate, pray or tap into my intuition throughout my day? Did I actually carve out a quiet moment?
- Emotional – how did I express my emotions today? Did I let others know how I was feeling or did I ignore or stuff my emotions? How did I care for my emotional self?
- Social – did I engage with other human beings and meet my needs for affiliation? Did I invest quality time in all my relationships?
Caroline Myss describes the concept of a daily energy bank in her book, “Anatomy of the Spirit.” She talks about how each day, we begin with a bank of energy (physical, mental, spiritual, etc.) and throughout our day, due to life events, we become depleted, and before we know it, we’re burned out and completely unaware of the causes.
Take a moment and check up on your state of balance. Where can you use a tune up?